According to survey, almost 50% of people are still holding on to Windows 7. Undoubtedly, Window 7 is the most preferred Operating system from Microsoft as compared to all of its predecessors and successor Windows 8/8.1. After the launch of Windows 10, only 10% people adopted option of upgrading to new final version of Windows Operating System so far. (Img. source: Wikipedia)
Anything might be the reason for not upgrading to windows 10. But upgrading to windows 10 is really not a rocket science. Let us know how to do it.
First of all let me clear you,
Wrong Beliefs for not upgrading:
- Internet connectivity/Speed for real time Upgradation
- OS will misbehave
- Will have to loose all important files.
- Yes. you need to have good internet speed for downloading Window 10 using Windows Update option but not advisable for lower internet connection speed. Size is almost 2GB and even sometimes the process gets stuck in between. There is other alternative. You can download Windows 10 using windows Media Creation Tool. You can download Windows 10 remotely in office or Internet cafe, where good internet connectivity is available. (Process shown below in Upgrading Section)
- No. OS will not misbehave, in fact its stable, faster and more reliable as it always gives an option to roll back to previous version of windows and even a Reset option.
- Not at all. You will have two option, either keep all files and folders as it is and only upgrading windows, and the other option will be clean install.
To all those having good internet connectivity can simply upgrade to windows 10 using Windows Update option.
For those who wish to upgrade using Media Creation Tool, follow the steps:
- Download Media Creation Tool form: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10.
2. Run the tool, and select: Create installation media for another PC
3. You can now go ahead with the default Windows 10 version download in case you are sure of downloading the correct version needed for your system. If you want to change the version, Tick off the default selected option and choose the suitable windows version for your system.
**If you are not sure which Windows 10 version will be suitable for your current Windows version, check below image (Source: www.microsoft.com)
4. Select suitable Windows version/edition and architecture i.e (32bit/64bit) as per your system.
**Initially you will get only two windows edition: Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 N, but if you play with the Language Selection option, you will get Windows Home edition too. (just wonder if its a bug or problem with my internet connection :p)
Note: If your Windows edition doesn’t match with the edition to be upgraded, it will ask you for the License key. For example if you are running windows 7 home, or windows 8.1 single Language edition, You will be prompted to insert licence key while upgrading process. So, make sure in the selection of the correct Windows edition.
5. Now select the media for downloading windows. You can select USB drive or even you can save an ISO file which can be used to write DVD’s . Click Next and initiate the download process.
6) Once the downloading is finished, you are ready for the action. For installing via USB, you can simply plugin the USB drive, and click Setup.exe and follow the instructions. You can also select the boot option as USB drive, pressing F2/F7 from your keyboard after rebooting the system. The boot method is also applicable for upgrading via DVD. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and Sit back and relax.
All the Best!