Well most of the Smartphone Companies commit to support your device for minimum 2 years. And with the continues blast of the technologies, your phone is immune to fall way behind. Consider you are Samsung user, you might have bough S3 or S4 or S5 earlier with jelly bean or KitKat. In that case, Samsung has only given up to 2 version updates. For instance, if you bought phone with Jellybean, you will be able to upgrade to KitKat and then Lollipop. But not Marshmallow.
Cyanogenmod community of brilliant developers is doing an awesome job to keep older phones alive and updated with the current Smartphones Operating System trend. However people are scared considering this option as its bit tricky. Here are the simple steps to upgrade your outdated android to official Cyanogemod Custom Rom. We are considering Samsung Galaxy SIII (I9300) for this, which was updated to jellybean or at some region to Kitkat officially. Below mention method allows you to upgrade your phone to latest android Marshmallow firmware.
Note: You don’t need to Root your phone if you are planning to flash Marshmallow CM13 firmware. This is now an inbuilt functionality of the official Cyanogenmod firmware. Just go to developer option, and allow root access if you wish to root your device.
What you need?
- First of all, you need to have your official firmware along with you just in case if anything goes wrong. You can download it from, SamMobile website.
- Now to proceed for the action, you need to have first, a recovery tool like ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery or TWRP Revocery. Particularly for Marshmallow firmware, only latest TWRP version is recommended. Download it from here. Note: Choose .tar file.
- Now you need Odin software on your PC to flash this TWRP recovery on your device (OR to Flash official firmware just in case of unwanted consequences).
- Download Google Apps from here. User platform as ‘Arm’ and Android version ‘6.0’. Pick any version: ‘Stock’ or ‘pico’ etc.
- Another thing you need is Marshmallow Firmware from Cyanogenmod. Though currently only nightly version is available, but you can go for it. If you are looking for a stable release, you may have to wait for few months. Download zip file from here.
Preview: Files Needed
Flashing TWRP using Odin:
- Switch off your phone and restart in downloading mode by pressing keys: ‘Power’ + ‘Home’ + ‘Volume down button’ together, then press ‘Volume up’ button to continue.
- Connect your phone to PC, open Odin tool and click ‘AP’ option and browse the TWRP Recovery file.
2. Note: If your device is not getting detected, you have to install Samsung drivers on your PC.
3. Now assuming your device is detected, click ‘Start’ button to flash the recovery tool (Note: Phone should be in downloading mode).
4. This will hardly take 1-2 min, and a ‘pass’ message symbolizes that the process of flashing recovery tool is successfully done.
Now you have installed TWRP Recovery on your device. Restart your device in Recovery Mode by pressing key:
‘Power’ + ‘Home’ + ‘Volume Up button’
Your screen will display the TWRP recovery panel as shown below:
Now lets perform a clean install for the new Marshmallow firmware.
Flashing Custom Rom (Android Marshmallow)
- In the Recovery Mode, choose ‘Wipe’ Option and check the following: Dalvik Cache, System, Data, Cache. Note: Don’t check ‘Internal Memory’ option as this will delete your complete data stored on internal storage.
Warning: Do not restart your device after flashing firmware only, as doing this will cause boot loop issues. You need to flash google apps as well.
2. Go back to TWRP main screen, and again browse google apps you downloaded. Select and ‘Swipe’ to flash.
3. After successfully flashing this, select ‘wipe cache/dalvik’ and reboot your device.
Thats it! You now have Android Marshmallow on your device. All the best!