Sometimes when we are working on any PowerPoint project, which includes multimedia files, images etc, PowerPoint is unable to display media files and shows a red cross with error. An example is shown below.
There may be many reason behind such error but most known cause is when you install any third party software. After installation, some software changes default cache memory path which leads to the problem shown above.
Solution is simple. Just revert back the default path for cache memory or temporary file.
How to do it?
- Run ‘regedit’ using key ‘window button’ + ‘R’.
2) Now go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Microsoft as shown in the image below:
3) Now in Microsoft folder, locate > Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.
4) Now in ‘User Shell Folders’, there is a registry file named ‘cache’. Double click on it, and check the path. If its different, copy and paste below mentioned path to ‘Value data’:
‘%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files’
5) After doing so, close the PowerPoint project, and reopen it. hopefully it worked.
If you have any other better solution, your suggestion are most welcomed. feel free to write on IngeniousIndeed.com.